- Serves: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 4 medium Portobello mushrooms, brushed clean & stems removed
- Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Stemple Creek ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons herb seasoning blend
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup favorite chunky tomato pasta sauce
- 4 teaspoons prepared pesto sauce + extra for topping
- 12 oz. package shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375. Using the edge of a spoon, scrape out the filaments on the inside of the mushroom cap, leaving the shell intact. Brush the outer mushroom shell with olive oil and place on a foil-covered baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes on the center rack of the oven. Remove mushrooms from the oven and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and sauté until translucent (about 3-4 minutes).
Add ground beef and cook evenly. Sprinkle with herb seasoning blend & pepper to taste.
When the meat is no longer pink, add the pasta sauce and mix to coat. *If the sauce is too juicy, continue to cook until the excess liquid evaporates.
Coat the inner shell of each cooked mushroom with a teaspoon of prepared pesto sauce. Top with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the beef-tomato mixture. Sprinkle generously with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Put stuffed mushrooms back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and ingredients are heated through. Finish with a dollop of pesto if desired.