To prepare for the expected – and the unexpected – this holiday season, it pays to stock up on the items you can easily store, and one of those items is wine. Yes, we know when you hear the phrase “stock up”, you immediately equate it with spending a lot of money; however, that doesn’t have to be the case. There are a lot of great wines out there that overdeliver at their price, but figuring out the best bets can be tricky. After spending precious time searching the shelves, it’s no fun to pick out a wine that is new to you and discover that it isn’t your cup of tea.
To help streamline your shopping trip and increase your odds of success — and savings — we have selected 20 wines, all under $10, that are sure to pair perfectly with everything the season has in store for you. This selection of white, rosé, red, and sparkling wines are all wines that we believe in and would serve to guests in our own homes. With the endorsement of the Oliver’s Wine, Beer & Spirits team, we DO believe it’s possible to get a great bottle of wine, without spending a fortune.
Note: All quoted prices in effect from November 2-8, 2022, at all four Oliver’s Market locations.
Whether you try just one, or build a case, you will not be disappointed with the quality and versatility of these wines! (More details on the wines follow this list.):
- Bliss Cabernet Sauvignon, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $8.99
- Borsao Garnacha, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $6.99
- Cline Zinfandel, 750ml Bottle, $9.99
- Fat Cat Pinot Noir, 750ml Bottle, $6.99
- Geyser Peak Red Blend, 750ml Bottle, $8.99
- Honoro Vera Monastrell, 750ml Bottle, $7.99
- Line 39 Pinot Noir, 750ml Bottle, $8.99
- Messer de Fauno Nero D’Avola, 750ml Bottle, $8.99
- OZV Zinfandel, 750ml Bottle, $9.98
- Red Truck Red Blend, 750ml Bottle, $7.99
- Vega Sindoa Tempranillo, 750ml Bottle, REV, $7.99
- Chateau St. Jean Sauvignon Blanc, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $7.99
- Gazela Vinho Verde, 750ml Bottle, $7.49
- Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $7.99
- Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc, 750ml Bottle, $9.99
- Terras do Minho Vino Verde, 750ml Bottle, $6.99
- Charles & Charles Rosé, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $6.99
- L’Oliveto Rosé of Pinot Noir, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $7.99
- Dibon Cava, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $7.99
- JP Chenet Brut Blanc de Blancs, 750ml Bottle, REV*, $7.99
Tasting Notes and Recommendations
We asked our Wine, Beer & Spirits Buyer, Richard Williams, to share his top picks for the season:
Vegas Sindoa Tempranillo – “The label will get your attention and the wine will keep it! This Tempranillo has a silky texture and rich flavors of cocoa and berries. An impressive wine for many a meal.”
Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc – “This wine is an exceptional value and it’s no wonder we go through boatloads of it! Vibrant acidity with white peach and lemon curd on the palate, this is the ultimate quaffer!”
L’Oliveto Rosé of Pinot Noir – “As you might assume from the deep coloring, it has a little more richness and texture than most Rosés on the shelf. Strawberry, raspberry, and candied cherry are the prominent flavors, with a fruity, but fairly dry, finish.”
Here are some notes on other favorites featured this week:
- Every fall gathering will begin on a more festive note with the addition of JP Chenet Brut Blanc de Blancs, and at this price, you cannot find a better pour. Its bright golden hue and delicate bubbles bring fruity aromas with notes of white peach and apricot. It is a perfect (and affordable) aperitif for any occasion.
- Another great wine to serve to guests as they arrive at your house is the Terras do Minho Vinho Verde. It is crisp, refreshing and low in alcohol with citrus and mineral notes. There is a slight effervescence present, which is one of the refreshing characteristics of Vinho Verde.
- If pizza, burgers or ribs are on your menu, be sure to pick up the Geyser Peak Red Blend. This tasty and delicious blended red is easy to drink, fruit-forward, and will be an easy match for whatever you pair it with.
These are just a handful of the 20 wines that will give you more bang-for-your-buck this holiday season, without breaking the bank. Stop in today, where our friendly and knowledgeable Wine Department staff is ready and eager to help you make your holiday season the best it can be.
* Great News! Any wine marked “REV” will be offered at this price all the way through the season, to January 5, 2023!