- Serves: 1 Sandwich
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- 2 slices Sourdough Bread (or your own bread of choice)
- 2-4 tablespoons Vegan Garlic Dijon Aioli (Recipe in Method)
- 2-4 slices Violife 100% Vegan Mature Cheddar Slices
- ¼ cup Vegan Caramelized Onions (Recipe in Method)
- 1 large handful fresh Baby Spinach
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
MAKE VEGAN GARLIC DIJON AIOLI
· 1 cup light olive oil or any other neutral-flavored oil
· 1/2 cup soy milk (plain unsweetened)
· 2 tablespoons lemon juice
· 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
· Add 1 cup light olive oil, 1/2 cup plain cold soy milk, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 cloves peeled garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to your blender and let it sit for about 2 minutes. (This will start to curdle your milk).
· Blend on high for 30 seconds. Add in Dijon.
· Scrape the edges and blend again for 30 seconds.
MAKE VEGAN CARAMELIZED ONIONS
· 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
· 2 tablespoons cooking oil (we like using avocado oil)
· ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt (or to taste)
· Warm cooking oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
· Add onions and break apart layers into individual pieces.
· Once the onions begin to soften and turn translucent, add salt. After adding salt, lower heat to medium or medium-low.
· Let the onions sit in the pan for 1-2 minute intervals to brown. Every few mintues, stir onions to ensure they brown evenly on all sides. Continuing alternating between stirring and letting the onions sit until they are all a dark, rich brown color, about 25-40 minutes.
Heat the broiler of your oven, making sure the rack is set about 8 inches below the broiling element.
Place both slices of bread on a baking sheet. Spread Vegan Garlic Dijon Aioli on each slice and top each with 1-2 slices of Violife 100% Vegan Mature Cheddar Slices.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, but not burned.
While you’re waiting for the cheese to melt, preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Once the cheese is melted, remove from the oven. Top one slice with caramelized onions and baby spinach, then place the other slice on top, cheese-side-down.
Lightly brush the outsides of your sandwich with olive oil.
Place sandwich in pre-heated skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned on one side; flip over and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the other side is lightly browned.
Remove from heat. Slice and serve.