- Serves: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. Peeled & Deveined Prawns
- 6 slices Bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 c. Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 c. White Grits or Polenta
- 4 c. Chicken Stock
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 c. Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Salt & Black Pepper
To make the grits, bring chicken stock to a boil and slowly stir in grits or polenta. Cook, stirring constantly, until grits are tender and thick. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Pat shrimp dry with paper towels and set aside. Cook bacon in a large frying pan until crispy, then remove and drain, leaving about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in pan. Cook onions and garlic in bacon grease until soft, then add prawns. Continue cooking until prawns are opaque, then stir in lemon juice and season lightly. Return bacon to pan and cook together.
To serve, mound grits in the center of dish and top with prawn mixture. Garnish with lots of sliced green onion.