- Serves: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1-1.5 hours
- 1 (3-4lb) Rocky Whole Chicken, broken down into parts
- 6 slices Thick-Cut Bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 10 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 5 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 1/2 lb. Crimini Mushrooms, stems removed & cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 c. Pearl Onions, skins removed
- 3-4 Large Carrots, peeled & cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 of 750ml bottle Red Wine
- 2 c. Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Add bacon to a cold Dutch oven and heat on medium; cook until crisp, then remove bacon from pan drain on a plate lined with paper towels, leaving some grease in the pan. Pat chicken with paper towels to remove excess moisture, then season liberally with salt and pepper. Reheat pot on medium-high, then sear chicken pieces in batches on all sides until golden. Remove chicken from pan and drain remaining grease.
Heat olive oil in the Dutch oven on medium, then saute onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add carrots and saute additional minute, then raise heat to high and deglaze pan with red wine. Stir in chicken broth, then tie together thyme and rosemary sprigs in a bundle with a piece of twine and add to pot. Add bacon and chicken back to pan, cover tightly with lid, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Combine flour and butter until they form a sticky paste, then stir the paste into the coq au vin along with the mushrooms and pearl onions. Bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms and onions are soft and sauce has thickened slightly. To finish, season with salt and pepper to taste.