- Serves: 6-8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. Oliver's Own Hot or Mild Chicken Italian Sausages
- 1 lb. Fresh or Frozen Cheese Tortellini
- 1 (28oz) can Crushed Tomatos
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 2 Carrots, peeled & finely diced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 c. Basil Leaves, tightly packed & chopped
- 1 c. Italian Parsley, tightly packed & chopped
- 4 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3 tbsp. Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
In a large soup pot of Dutch oven, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking. Cook sausages in batches until evenly browned, then remove and allow to cool. Note that sausages will not be cooked through at this time. While sausages cool, drain most of excess grease in pan, leaving about 1 tablespoon-worth. Saute onions, carrots, and garlic until veggies are soft; while veggies cook, slice sausages into bite-sized pieces. Add sausage chunks to veggies and cook for another minute.
Raise heat to medium-high and stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, and herbs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cream cheese, and tortellini; cook soup additional 5 to 10 minutes or according to tortellini cooking directions.
Season with salt and black pepper to taste before serving. Top with fresh parmesan cheese.