- Serves: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons minced candied ginger
- 1/4 cup each: dried cherries, golden raisins, apricots (finely chopped), candied orange peels
- 1/4 cup of Brandy
- 3 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup polenta
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup(1 stick) softened butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- • 2 teaspoons lemon or orange zest
- 1/3 cup each: slivered almonds & pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of crushed star anise
- teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of almond flakes for garnish
- powered sugar
Put all the candied & dried fruit and ginger in a bowl; pour the brandy over them and soak for an hour.
Bring the milk to a boil with a pinch of salt. Once boiling, pour in the almond flour and polenta, slowly, mixing well with a whisk, so that it does not form lumps. Reduce heat to low, continue to cook until thick, stirring constantly, for about 10-12 minutes. The mixture should be soft and non-gritty so add more milk if necessary. Remove from heat, then add the butter in chunks, the brown sugar, nuts, citrus zest, brandy-soaked fruit, fennel and star anise and stir until well mixed.
Pour the mixture into a pre-greased round springboard cake tin (8 -9 inch). Level it, and sprinkle the surface generously with brown sugar. Cook at 350 F for about 50-55 minutes, until a beautiful golden-brown crust forms on the surface. Let sit overnight before serving so flavors can intermingle and deepen; dust with powered sugar and almond flakes.