- Serves: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6-8 hours
- 3 lbs. Pork Bones, cut into 1 in. disks
- 2 lbs. Chicken Carcasses, fat & skin removed
- 1 Onion, skin-on & halved
- 1 head Garlic, cut in half
- 2 Leeks, washed & chopped in thirds
- 1 lb. Scallion Ends (reserve greens)
- 1 medium knob Ginger, cut in slices
- 1 lb. slab Pork Fat
- 2 tbsp. Canola Oil
Place pork bones and chicken carcasses in a large pot and cover in cold water; bring to a boil, then drain water. Clean residual marrow or blood from bones until they are clean and white. While bones are coming to a boil, heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add scallion ends, garlic, and ginger, and cook until deeply browned on all sides.
Return bones to pot and add rest of ingredients, including browned veggies. Cover with cold water and boil until pork fat is tender, about 4 hours. Remove the fat and allow to cool; continue cooking broth for 6 to 8 hours, or until it has significantly reduced and has turned creamy white and opaque. Strain the broth to remove any solids and return to the pot.
When ready to serve, finely chop the pork fat and stir it back into the broth.