- Serves: 12
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- 4 pounds Organic Fuji Apples
- 2 cups Fresh Organic Blackberries
- 1 pint Straus Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- one stick salted butter
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- unsalted butter for the pan
Whisk together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a bowl. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles course meal. Add oats and pecans and press mixture into small clumps. Freeze while preparing the filling.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Butter a shallow 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Peel, core and cut the apples into one half inch wedges. Toss together apples, blackberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and juice, and salt in a bowl. Transfer to prepared skillet. Scatter the topping over the fruit.
Bake until the topping is browned and the fruit is bubbling, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool on a wire rack 10 minutes before serving with Straus vanilla ice cream.