- Serves: 8-12 servings
- Prep Time: 25-30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 lb. Red Beets, scrubbed/trimmed & peeled
- 1/4 medium Savoy or Green Cabbage, roughly shredded
- 1 Yellow Onion, sliced
- 3 large Carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 qts. Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 2 tsp. Fresh Dill, chopped
- 1/2 c. Light Cream
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- Salt, to taste
- Sour Cream, for serving
In a large dutch oven or large pot, heat vegetable oil until hot. Add onions to pot and saute until translucent, then add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant. Add cabbage and cook until wilted, then add carrots, beets, and chicken or vegetable stock.
Bring to boil, and stir in bay leaf, dill, and peppercorns. Reduce heat to simmer, and cover; cook about 20 to 25 minutes or until beets and carrots are fork tender. Remove bay leaf and peppercorns. Using an immersion blender or a heat-safe blender, blend until smooth. Stir in light cream, then season to taste with salt.
Serve hot or cold with an additional dollop of sour cream.