- Serves: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
- 1 c. Green or Red Lentils, cleaned & sorted
- 1 lb. Kabocha Pumpkin or Butternut Squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Carrots, peeled & cubed
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 (14oz) can Chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 lb. Spinach, washed & dried
- 2 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 4 c. Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp. Turmeric
- 1 tbsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 c. Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Canola Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Plain Yogurt (for serving)
Heat canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot, and saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add lentils and carrots and stir, then pour in chicken broth. Raise heat to high until lentils boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
Cook for about 30 minutes, then add pumpkin, spinach, and chickpeas. Stir in tomato paste and spices, then continue cooking 15 to 20 minutes or until pumpkin and lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in fresh parsley.
To serve, top with a dollop of yogurt.