- Serves: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 package True Story Organic Sweet Italian Chicken Sausages, sliced into rounds
- 1 box Lundberg Organic Whole Grain Rice & Wild Rice with Garlic & Basil
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 6 ripe Roma Tomatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 c. Basil Leave, Packed
- 2 Whole Bay Leaves
- 1/2 c. Dry White Wine
- 1 Yellow Onion, quartered
- 4 Garlic Cloves, smashed
- 1 Carrot, scrubbed & quartered
- 1 Celery Stalk, halved
- 6 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 Whole Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. Salt + Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Start with the broth. Combine Roma tomatoes, basil, bay leaves, white wine, yellow onion, garlic, carrot, celery, peppercorns, and chicken broth in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow broth to cook for at least 1 hour or until broth is flavorful and slightly reduced.
While broth infuses, cook Lundberg Rice according to package directions. Heat olive oil in a large sauté or frying pan until hot, then add True Story chicken sausage pieces. Fry sausages on both sides until golden, then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Add shallot, red bell pepper, and chili flakes to the same pan on medium heat and fry until soft, then add garlic and season lightly with salt and black pepper. When garlic is fragrant, stir in cooked rice and sausage pieces; continue frying briefly, stirring frequently to ensure even cooking.
Remove whole peppercorns, bay leaves, cooked herbs, and any large chunks of cooked veggies from the broth and discard, then stir in salt. To serve, mound rice and sausage mixture in the bottom of a bowl, then top with broth.