- Serves: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2-3 hours
- 1 lb. Bangers or Other Pork Sausages
- 1 lb. Thick-Cut Bacon, cut into chunks
- 1 large Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Carrot, sliced into rounds
- 3-4 large Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 c. Parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1 (14oz) can Guinness Irish Stout
- 2 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 4 c. Beef Broth
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Add bacon to a cold Dutch oven and heat on medium. Cook bacon until crisp, then remove from pan and drain, leaving grease behind. Cook sausages in bacon grease until browned and golden on the ouside, then remove and drain - the sausages do not need to be completely cooked through at this time. Leave any grease in the pot and add the flour to it, whisking to combine. Raise heat slightly to medium-high and pour in Guinness, whisking to combine; remove from heat. Chop cooled sausages into bite-sized chunks.
Begin layering coddle. Start with half of the potatoes on the bottom of the pot, followed by half the onions and carrots, then half the sausage chunks, and finally half the parsley. You will also want to scatter the thyme and the bay leaves on this layer. Repeat for second layer, finishing with remaining parsley only. Top with beef broth.
Cover Dutch oven tightly with lid and place in oven. Bake for 2 to 3 hours or until gravy has reduced and all veggies are fork tender. Serve with fresh soda bread.