Here in Sonoma County, you know that fall is near when the majestic trees and foliage start to change colors, the days start to get shorter, there is a slight chill in the air and now more than ever, everywhere you look is pumpkin spiced everything.
The pumpkin spice trend has been around for a few years now. We are all familiar with the pumpkin spiced latté, pumpkin flavored teas and baked goods. But, let’s face it: They are all old news now. We need a new and exciting way to use this fall flavor classic and boy, do I have just the thing. Cocktails! That’s right — it’s time to put an adult spin on the ol’ pumpkin. You can find most fruits and even a lot of vegetables in cocktails now, so why not pumpkin too?
Here are three creative cocktail recipes based on traditional drinks that incorporate pumpkin and spice in them for that touch of fall we’re all looking for. Based on departures from the classic Martini, Old Fashioned and Bellini, these are perfect additions to your Halloween party, Thanksgiving dinner, or just a cozy night at home. Sipping these you can almost hear the leaves crunching beneath your feet…Enjoy!
THE POLISHED PRINCESS
- 1 1/2 ounces Vanilla Vodka
- 5 cranberries
- Pinch pumpkin spice
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 1 egg white
1. In a mixing glass, muddle the cranberries and spice with the lemon juice and simple syrup
2. Add remaining ingredients and dry shake (in a cocktail shaker with no ice)
3. Add ice and shake again
4. Strain into chilled martini glass and add 3 cranberries for garnish
PUMPKIN OLD FASHIONED
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 ounce Grand Marnier
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 ounce maple syrup
- Orange peel twist or rosemary sprig for garnish
1. Combine pumpkin puree, bourbon, syrup, Grand Marnier, and bitters in a cocktail shaker filled with ice
2. Shake well and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a chilled old fashioned glass filled with fresh ice.
3. Garnish with a rosemary sprig or orange peel
SPARKLING CIDER PUMPKIN BEERTAIL
- 3 bottles of Pumpkin Beer
- 1/2 bottle Sparkling Apple Cider
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 lemon wedges
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
1. Place a cinnamon stick in a pint glass
2. Fill glass with beer to about three quarters full
3. Fill remaining space in glass with cider
4. Squeeze lemon juice on top, use slice for garnish and put a dash of cinnamon on top